- The director general of the institute submitted a proposal to increase the presence of Mexican music on XEB, a flagship station of IMER and one of the country’s pioneering radio stations.
- President Peña Nieto instructed the director of IMER to implement this proposal as soon as possible.
President Enrique Peña Nieto, accompanied by his wife, Angélica Rivera de Peña, met at the official residence of Los Pinos with members of the Mexican Society of Authors and Composers, headed by their leader, Armando Manzanero.
At the meeting, the president listened to various suggestions from members of the SACM, as well as their proposal to promote the work of Mexican composers and authors through the Mexican Radio Institute (IMER).
The president said that in response to a request from Mexican authors and composers, he instructed the Director General of IMER to submit a proposal during this meeting.
Director General of IMER Carlos Lara Sumano said that XEB has a format for incorporating music, service and advice shows, in addition to broadcasting programs from the National Newscasters’ System.
He said that in all the IMER stations, credit will be given to Mexican authors and composers when their music is played, and to all the musicians involved. The XEB, “The Capital B of Mexico” will include additional bars, programs and music shows to those that already exist:
- Musical novelties, presenting recent music in a 30-minute bar.
- Five-minutes capsules with the biographies of authors and composers as an introduction to excerpts from songs and pieces.
- Composers of yesteryear, a daily, 30-minute bar with music by composers who have already died.
- Weekly, 30-minute interviews.
- Special programs on important dates in keeping with a schedule established by the IMER and SACM.
- Transmission of concerts at the SACM’s Roberto Cantoral Hall.
The president instructed the director of IMER to launch this proposal as soon as possible, to promote the works of Mexican composers and authors.
At the end of the event, Armando Manzanero, Martin Urieta, Aleks Syntek, Enrique Guzmán “Fato” and Teodoro Bello played some of their songs.
The meeting was attended by SACM leaders: Armando Manzanero, President; Martín Urieta, Executive Vice President; Roberto Cantoral Zucchi, Director; and José Alfredo Jimenez Gálvez, Member of the Board. Singer-songwriters Teodoro Bello, Mónica Vélez, Aleks Syntek, Enrique Guzmán Yáñez "Fato" and Mariano Rivera Velázquez were also present.
The president and his wife were accompanied by Secretary of Public Education Aurelio Nuño Mayer; Director General of IMER, Carlos Lara Sumano; and General Coordinator of Social Communication and Government Spokesman Eduardo Sánchez Hernández.