General Coordinator of Social Communication of the President’s Office and Government Spokesman Eduardo Sánchez Hernández, said today, in a joint press conference with Secretary of Health, José Narro Robles, and Director General of the ISSSTE, Florentino Castro López, that "implementing public policies to prevent and cure diseases has been one of the priorities of President Enrique Peña Nieto."
Mexico has made unprecedented advances in the health field:
- From 2012 to 2016, infant mortality was reduced by nine percent, and maternal mortality by 13 percent.
- For the second year, last February, the campaign "February, month of the health of man" was carried out. This campaign is an unprecedented prevention policy in the history of public health in Mexico. And it has yielded good results. From 2016 to 2017 alone, the number of men tested for prostate disease risks rose from 1,554 to 24,130.
- The campaign won the International Award for Good Practices for the Americas in its 2017 edition, presented by the International Social Security Association, in Montevideo, Uruguay.
“The ISSSTE is a fundamental institution for millions of Mexicans that has served more than 13 million beneficiaries, state workers and their families, for 58 years”. ESH
- The Institute has, “The best rate of effectiveness in the treatment of childhood cancer nationwide, managing to save seven out of 10 children, a similar rate to that of Western European countries.
- Moreover, “As a result of the efforts of over 100,000 workers, the ISSSTE currently has a drug supply level of 99 percent.
- “This institution offers 22 benefits and services to beneficiaries, from primary and preventive medical care to the most advanced surgeries in the world.