• The president spoke with relatives of those who were injured or lost their lives in the incident.
• He told them that the authorities will ensure that PEMEX and Mexichem, the company with which it is associated, assume their responsibility and deliver the corresponding compensation.
• The most important thing at the moment is for the injured persons to receive proper medical care, he said.
• The president also visited the Regional Hospital of Minatitlan, where several of the injured have been hospitalized.
• He praised the work of the medical staff who have attended the emergency.
President Enrique Peña Nieto today toured the area of the “Pajaritos” petrochemical complex where an explosion occurred yesterday to monitor the civil protection actions and medical care of those injured in the incident.
The president spoke with relatives of those who were injured or lost their lives. • He told the latter that the authorities will ensure that PEMEX and Mexichem, the company with which it is associated, take responsibility and deliver the corresponding compensation.
He also offered to speed up the protocols for identifying the bodies so that they can be delivered as quickly as possible.
He said that he has instructed the Attorney General to assist with the investigation the state authority is conducting to establish responsibilities.
President Peña Nieto said that the Civil Protection protocol has been lifted, because there is no longer any risk to the population.
He said that the most important thing at the moment is for those injured to receive proper medical care. He explained that 24 people are currently hospitalized because of the explosion, 13 with serious injuries, which have been transferred to various highly specialized institutes for treatment.
The president visited the Regional Hospital of Minatitlán, Pemex, where he spoke with some of the injured who were hospitalized there. He wished them a speedy recovery and said that he would monitor their recovery.
Afterwards, when he conversed with relatives in the hospital auditorium, President Peña Nieto thanked the medical personnel for looking after the injured.
The president was accompanied by Ministers of the Interior, Miguel Ángel Osorio Chong; National Defense, General Salvador Cienfuegos Zepeda; Health, José Narro Robles and Education, Aurelio Nuño Mayer; Attorney General Arely Gómez González; Director General of PEMEX José Antonio González Anaya; Director General of the Mexican Social Security Institute Mikel Arriola; National Coordinator of Civil Protection Luis Felipe Puente Espinosa; Head of the President’s Office Francisco Guzmán Ortiz; and Governor of Veracruz Javier Duarte de Ochoa.