This award is a tribute to the dedication and generosity of those who risk their own lives to save others. It is also a recognition of those who keep the public informed and prepared for any eventuality.
“Mexicans have worked hard and have had to overcome difficult and painful experiences during the past three decades.
“The lesson is clear: Natural disasters and contingencies test societies and at the same time, show us the more caring face of human beings”. EPN
The president presented the National Civil Protection Award 2016 in the field of prevention to Raúl Esquivel Carvajal, Director General of the Mexico City Fire Department.
He presented an award to the National Chamber of the Radio and Television Industry and the Public Broadcasting System of the Mexican State, the winners of the assistance category.
He also congratulated Raúl Soto Bazán and Enrique González Torres on the honorable mention they received.
Progress in Civil Protection
- Today, Civil Protection Policy is a State Policy, linking the efforts of the Branches of Government, states, municipalities and, indeed, society as a whole.
- A robust, efficient legal framework is now in place for Comprehensive Risk Management.
- Preventive tools for monitoring and early warning are available together with the Mexican Seismic Network, while the National Risk Atlas is continuously updated.
- The national emergency number 911 has been implemented throughout the country to improve coordination of medical services, security and civil protection for the benefit of the population.
- A culture of prevention has gradually been consolidated among most sectors of society.
”Mexico now has a sturdy, modern Civil Protection System, on a par with the best in the world”. EPN
Measures to strengthen actions
Significant measures are being implemented to strengthen civil protection and preventive security in educational establishments and child care centers across the country.
It works to ensure that civil protection protocols address the needs of the entire population, including people with disabilities.
These developments confirm Mexico as an international reference in the field of civil protection.
In May, Mexico will host the Global Platform for Risk Reduction Disaster, considered the most important global forum on the subject, in which member countries of the UN assume commitments to reduce disaster risk .
This forum will make it possible to advance the prevention of disasters caused by the consequences of climate change.