President Enrique Peña Nieto received President of the Swiss Confederation, Johann Schneider-Ammann, currently on a state visit, at the National Palace.
This first state visit to Mexico by a Swiss president coincides with the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Mexico and Switzerland.
For decades, the two countries have shared universal values such as freedom and equality, solidarity and democracy, peace and environmental care.
The Paris Agreement, which Switzerland and Mexico strongly promoted, comes into effect today. It represents the commitment of both nations to combating climate change and moving towards sustainable development.
Switzerland is a globally important actor and the headquarters of 200 international organizations.
Mexico – Switzerland Trade and Investment
- Switzerland and Mexico maintain a close economic and trade relationship.
- Switzerland is the 9th largest investor in Mexico.
- There are over 800 companies with Swiss capital in Mexico (such as Nestlé, Novartis, Roche and Swiss Re).
- The Mexico-Switzerland Chamber of Commerce and Industry was inaugurated. This is the first Chamber of Commerce Switzerland has established in another country.
- $120 million USD were announced in this context, which confirms the confidence of Swiss businessmen in Mexico’s potential.
- Switzerland is also Mexico’s 19th largest trading partner worldwide.
- In 2015, trade reached nearly $3.5 billion USD and Mexican exports have more than doubled during this administration.