He met with leaders and representatives of indigenous communities in the Lacandon Rainforest
This visit took place within the framework of activities led by the president today to protect the environment and preserve the country’s biodiversity.
Actions for the preservation of protected natural areas
President Peña Nieto instructed government agencies to undertake actions in favor of this region and its inhabitants.
1. Secretariat of Agrarian, Land and Urban Development (SEDATU): Avoid regularizing irregular settlements in order to ensure that they remain protected natural areas.
2. Secretariats of Energy and Economy: Guarantee that no oil exploration and drilling or mining is carried out in these regions.
3. National Commission for the Development of Indigenous Peoples: offer the inhabitants of this area various development and production models.
4. The president guaranteed that Payment for Environmental Services will be maintained despite next year’s budgetary adjustment.
5. The commitment not to build dams on the Usumacinta River was confirmed.