President Enrique Peña Nieto, accompanied by his wife Angélica
Rivera de Peña and part of his cabinet, led the Farewell Ceremony for His
Holiness Pope Francis in Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua.
On behalf of all Mexicans, the president thanked the Pope for the messages
of peace, reconciliation and hope his visit has left. Mexico, he said, is committed to respecting human
rights and discussing the joint construction of a more humane, fraternal and
The visit in numbers Pope Francis toured Mexico
City; Ecatepec, State of Mexico; San Cristóbal de las Casas and Tuxtla
Gutiérrez, Chiapas; Morelia, Michoacán, and Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua.
• He covered a total of 221 km aboard the Popemobile.
• This was the first-ever visit by a Pope to the National Palace and a postage
stamp was issued to commemorate the Pope’s visit.
• Five Masses were celebrated:
Basílica of Guadalupe; at the Center for Advanced Studies in Ecatepec; with
indigenous communities in San Cristobal de las Casas; with priests, nuns and
seminarians in Morelia; and at Ciudad Juárez Fair
• Pope Francis visited the “Federico Gomez” Children's Hospital in the
State of Mexico.
• His Holiness visited Chihuahua Prison (CeReSo3).
• He met with Mexico’s bishops at the Metropolitan Cathedral.
• He met with representatives of indigenous communities in Chiapas.
• Pope Francis delivered 8 speeches.