President Enrique Peña Nieto led the commemoration of the 99th anniversary of the Confederation of National Chambers of Commerce, Services and Tourism (CONCANACO-SERVYTUR).
This Confederation has been devoted to boosting the national economy, creating jobs and providing income for thousands of families for 99 years.
During the event, the president declared that the government has promoted entrepreneurship in the country.
Three central aspects that have been emphasized:
FIRST. The stability of the economy has been preserved through a responsible macroeconomic environment, sound public finances, a flexible exchange rate, autonomous monetary policy and a robust banking system.
“Today we can say that we have preserved economic stability for 25 years, after having gone through a time of economic crisis”: EPN
SECOND. Structural reforms have boosted the economy.
"Six Structural reforms ranging from Labor Reform in the transition period, Telecommunications Reform, Energy Reform, Antitrust Reform are now permitting new breakthroughs, new windows of opportunity, new handholds for Mexico to transition towards further development in its economic activity”: EPN
- International Long Distance and mobile telephony rates have fallen about 40%, thanks to Telecommunications Reform.
- Electricity tariffs for the industrial sector have decreased by 27%, and for commerce by 14% following the entry into force of the Reform.
- Progress has been made in the aviation industry. During this administration, 329 new domestic and 332 international air routes have been opened.
- In 2012, Mexico was the 13th third most visited country in the world, last year it moved up to ninth; and the sector continues to progress.
- In the first 9 months of 2016, 25.3 million international tourists have visited the country, 8.1% more than during the same period last year and 46.8% more than in 2012.
- There used to be a gap of over 84 percent between the rates paid in the industrial sector in the United States and those paid in Mexico; today that gap has virtually disappeared.
THIRD. The government is working to strengthen the rule of law, an essential factor for creating an enabling environment for business.
”Having a country with an effective rule of law is not only due to having good laws, but to the fact that Mexican society assimilates, knows and appropriates them and is willing to respect and assume them as such”: EPN
- Institutions for fighting corruption and promoting transparency have been strengthened, while fundamental changes have been made to the criminal and everyday justice systems.
- Mexico today has low inflation levels.
- The economy is producing a significant number of jobs; record job creation figures have been achieved.
- Private consumption in August rose by 4.4 percent, in original figures, compared with the same month in 2015.
- Moreover, the observed annual growth for total department store sales in October was 11.4 percent.
“This shows that our economy is more dynamic and that one of our main strengths is due to our economic growth”. EPN