On behalf of President Enrique Peña Nieto, Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat), Rafael Pacchiano Alamán presented Secretary General of the UN, Ban Ki-moon with the ratification of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change during the United Nations General Assembly held in New York.
Mexico continues to demonstrate leadership in combating climate change by being among the first countries to ratify the agreement; It is one of the 175 countries that signed the Paris Agreement, which was ratified by the Senate.
Five actions for implementing the Paris Agreement:
1. Achieve zero deforestation.
2. Improve the adaptive capacity of the 160 most vulnerable municipalities.
3. Protect the population from extreme hydro-meteorological phenomena.
4. Increase the resilience of the country's strategic infrastructure and ecosystems.
5. Decouple greenhouse gas emissions from economic growth.